Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The World of Tolkien

In answer to a request posted by Beth, I just finished reading the latest Tolkien book (put together by his son), The Children of Hurin.

I'll tell you now, it is very sad and ends tragically (especially the last two pages of the book), and yet I liked it. It just amazed me at how well Tolkien knew his own world of Middle-Earth. This story is just about one family, who through their deeds are remembered well into the Third Age (where LOTR happens), because in the introduction and appendixes there are excerpts from LOTR referring to what happens in The Children of Hurin and the places in it (i.e. Gondolin, Nargothrond, Doriath). It just amazes me at the depth of Middle Earth and its history. I mean, all this stuff that Tolkien thought up spans thousands of years!! It's amazing and I love it!

And now, since reading this book, I am in a big-time Lord of the Rings mood. Perhaps when I come home (bright and early tomorrow morning, by the way) I will have that marathon that I've been meaning to have for two years. The one where I devote one or several days to watching the extended versions and drooling over the beauty of the elven swords and buildings. *sigh* I love the elves. . . .

3 comments:

Your Name said...

YAY! Jekka's Coming Home!

Debbie Barr said...

Ditto to what Jenni said.

Plus, that sounds really cool! I'll have to steal it from you once I'm finished with the Harry Potter books.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, hooray! Thank you thank you for the excellent reviewses.