Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Tomato Curse

I have been cursed. It is most unfortunate and came about very unexpectedly.

It all began with weeding.

Our garden was quite overgrown with weeds. you know the usual: spikey ones, smooth ones, viney ones, and clumpy ones. Well, my mother, father, and I were attempting to free our tomato plants in the dark of the night when I spotted a small tomato, still green, in the dirt. I did not want to leave it there and allow it even the slightest chance to grow into one of those vile fruits. I did the most satisfactory thing I had ever done. . . .

I threw it into the weed bucket.

Yes, it was a very satisfying thing to do, but little did I know, that as soon as that tomato hit the bottom of the bucket, it unleashed its curse on me. He got help from our dear old Sun who helps all things grow. . .and burn. For the next day, I had gone with Chrissany, her sister and dad to tackle Timpanogas Mountain. In my haste to get out of the door so that we would not be hiking in the heat of the day, I forgot a very vital and important accomodation: sunscreen.

Yes, I forgot to put on sunscreen and the tomato's curse struck me then as we were coming down from the summit. The Sun toasted my arms and face and neck to the point where it hurt to be in the sunlight. It was at this point that I remembered that Tiffany's dad had some sunscreen and I put it on before I could get anymore burned. Still, my arms were a nice ruby red and I knew my face was as well. Luckily, we quickly got into some trees, and for the remainder of the hike we were in the shade so I did not get anymore burned. but still. . .I am cursed.

I have become the very food I hate.

And now, I must stay inside and drink lots of water, while draping cold wet cloths on my arms and face to cool my arms, and smothering my appendages and head with aloe vera. Hooray.

On a brighter note: We saw two mountain goats, some elk, and a moose. Not to mention a ton of bugs and butterflies, especially at the summit of 11, 74 something feet. Also there were a lot of big purple flowers growing above the timberline. I was so amazed that flowers could survive so well in such a habitat as that. it's nothing but loose rocks with spots of dirt! Nature is truly astounding.

Signing off sorely: Jekka the Goat Senoj

4 comments:

Your Name said...

You should have dressed like an Aiel. I bet the Cadin Sor would have protected your fair, but now burnt, skin. My own face is finished peeling from my little burns on the trek. As for tomatos...they are better than turnips.

Debbie Barr said...

Bwahahaha. I laugh at you. And wish you the best of luck with that Aloe Vera.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha!!! You know you scared me at first becuase you said "it all started with weeding..." I thought you said wedding. ROTFL I had to do a double take there.... lol Have fun with those burns. It must hurt having to be like a lobster all the time *pats shoulders* oh sorry. *smirks* he he he j/k j/k *hugs* I LOVE YOU!!!!!

(P.S. To make you feel better my nose peeled slightly Sunday.)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I am sorry. I was burned recently myself and am only just recovering. And, like, peeling crazily. :/