Monday, November 12, 2007

Evolution vs. Creationism

So in evolution we watched a little clip on youtube about a guy who is a devote creationist--a person who is firmly against evolution. He was funny, and I was midly impressed by him until he made a snide comment towards Mormons. At first it was funny, he was saying how "the Mormons" believe that we can become Gods, specifically saying that we "took that bait, hook, line, and sinker." It was kinda funny, but I blew it off because obviously he didn't understand just how cool that would be. Why settle for less than a God? I'd rather become a God and create worlds than do nothing but play a harp and sit on a cloud all day. But, I forgave that evangelical christian speaker for his ignorance.

However, I did not like his next little poke at "mormonism". He said that mormon women are going to be pregnant and produce little spirit babies for all eternity when they become Gods. That made my respect column towards him plummet. That was a very pessimistic view of such a wonderful thing, and I was mad! That is not what women are going to do for all eternity. No wonder why women are so degraded in modern society! Sheesh, when I become a goddess, you will see me right next to my godly husband, making worlds and animals and people! Some people's kids!

And that wasn't the only thing, his little speech was pure opinion and little fact. The one thing I so wished that I could ask him about in person was nebulas. He was talking about the Big Bang Theory and he asked "If planets were made that way, then why do we not see them being created now?" Well, Mr. Creationist, there's two things.
1--Nebulas: they are clouds of dust were stars are born (he did not even mention these, he just talked about how we only see stars and planets being destroyed by supernovas)
2--It takes thousands of years for planets to form. There is some order in that seemingly chaos. Any astronomer can tell you that!

He even asked how we knew the earth was about 4.5 billion years old! Sheesh!!! It's called radiometric dating!! New technology=New discoveries, and one of those discoveries is finding the age of rock, bone, and (guess what) FOSSILS!!! Especially ones that pre-date the flood. . . .

I never thought I would get worked up over something like this, but he bugged me. I have my own little opinions on how the Creation account in the bible and how evolution all fit in, but this guy. . . .He needs to get more support and do more research if he's going to debate this issue. He had just a lot of holes in his little speech, and that's saying a lot considering my limited knowledge obtained from high school and two years of college.

Some people's kids!

Anywho, sorry for all the sciency jargon. A lot of things have been coming up with these two classes, so I apologize if you don't understand some of it. *pats heads* It's okay. This is the horror life of a biologist. It's so unfortunate that I have to deal with idiotic zealous preachers in this line of interest. Sheesh, you can be Christian and a scientist. Science is not completely random (and neither is evolution, by the way, the only random part is the occurence of mutations but even those can be controlled).

Gah! Some. Peoples. Kids!!

2 comments:

Your Name said...

you're right though...when I'm a goddess, I'll create a star just for him and then blow it up in his face. *evil grin* ^-^

Imagine the chaos we'd cause my fiend.

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

Oh, man, that is such a wicked thought!