Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Looming Test

Some textbooks should be rewritten.

I have a looming chemistry final on Friday, and I feel like I know the material. I understand it perfectly in class, but then I go and do the problems in the book and I get confused. Okay, so not confused, but I see the questions their asking as meaningless and pointless. It's like: In the long run, if I ever made O-Chem my life and career, this kind of stuff will not help me whatsoever. When I go to do a synthesis, I won't need to know the definition of Zaitsev's rule or Hammond's postulate (don't even ask what they are because I don't even know). I feel like I can't do the problems in the book, but I can do the problems my teacher gives us to practice. And they're not easy! He gives us difficult ones.

As such, I feel stressed about this upcoming test, but, I'm trying not to stress. Stress=test anxiety=making stupid mistakes=unhappy score. What even makes me stress out more is that the tests have so much on them that one hour is not enough time to finish it! I like finishing my tests, not because of the greater chance of actually getting more points, but because I can't walk away from something that isn't finished.

However, I'm going to try to keep calm, try not to let this anxiety take over, and not worry about the time limit. Jenni, I hope what happened to you with the "eternal present moment" will happen to me. That would really help me maintain the calm I need to focus and do my best. I understand the stuff, it's just that I start second-guessing myself and doing stupid mistakes.

Why am I even so nervous? I have not been this nervous for all the other tests! What's wrong with me?! What's so different about this one than all the others? If anything, IT SIMPLIFIES ALL THAT I'VE PREVIOUSLY LEARNED!!!

Man, I've never realized how bad I get test anxiety!!! Help!!

*grabs paper bag and starts breathing into it*

Is it Thanksgiving yet?

1 comment:

Your Name said...

You sound like me when I do my french tests. It's not that you don't know the stuff, it's the whole setting that gives you anxiety. If you could take that test outside, I'd be you'd ace it...

umm...

I could go for some thanksgiving food right now too
...rolls...turkey...potatoes...