Wednesday, August 29, 2007

About nothing

Here's a nothing post just because I feel like doing one. Thanks Mastah and Fiend for your comforting words, they made me feel better, and I wish you luck for when you start.

So, about nothing. It's such a very common word used when a person is being modest, I've realized. I went into work and asked one of my work buddies (who I haven't seen all summer) if she had a good vacation.

"It was nice. I just worked all the time," she answered.
To which I replied, "What did you do?"
"Oh nothing."

Well, I poked and prodded and discovered that she had gone to over seven concerts during the summer! That is not nothing! That is something! But she was being modest. After all, I had told her that I went to Rush and Dream Theater, just to see what would happen and that was when she told me. So, if someone says "nothing" then that means something. You just probably have to take down your own modesty curtain before they'll take down yours, which is hard. I like listening to people talk, and I always feel like I'm bragging or something when I open my mouth. I think that's becuase of last year. . . one of my roommates was the "Me monster" (see Brian Regen's me monster skit on youtube), and that was the one time when I said to myself, "Self, I don't ever want to bore people by talking about my insignificant problems or that my marching band experience was the hardest experience in the history of marching band." Sheesh! I almost wish she had nothing to say! Okay, that was rude. . .heh heh.

Other than that, I like sitting around and doing nothing. Although, nothing also constitutes as daydreaming, brainstorming, counting bricks, going for walks, and I suppose reading. Though I could never really classify that as nothing. I always go places when I read . . . .

*picks up book*

2 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

I always say "nothing", not because I'm being modest, (me, Modest?) but because I really don't think my life is all that interesting. Or because I want this person to go away and never come back. ;) Just kidding. sort of.

Your Name said...

I was thinking the same thing as debbie...my life doesn't seem all that interesting....and I can't remember much of what happens in my life anyway. A short attention span does that to me. ;) As for counting bricks...have you named them yet?