Monday, August 20, 2007

The Goose Girl

I finished The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. It was wonderful, lovely, touching, happy, and all around amazing. I've never read a book that made me actually want to cry. For those of you who've read it, I think you know what part I'm referring to . . . Falada . . . . And if only I could understand the wind! How cool is that?!

*sigh* I love magic!

And one day as I was writing, I realized that in a story a writer introduces characters up until a certain point and then he/she doesn't introduce anymore, but uses those that already exist to finish the story. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the last major character important to the story who is introduced is Xenophilius Lovegood, and a minor character is Yaxley, one of the death eaters. After that, everything happens with the characters you already love, hate, and fear. If another character is introduced after the unknown certain point (like I tried to do) there isn't enough time to really get to know and develop that character, and they sort of become a person you don't care about. I would have never thought that that could have happened, and was pleasantly surprised by it. Now I know. And a good thing about this realization is that it has given me better ideas for my story, like how to go about killing off a few people. A sad business, but funny how it seems to be needed. . . .that's a morbid thought! Pardon me!

Just another example that writing is NOT words magically appearing in the notebook or on the computer screen.

2 comments:

Your Name said...

*stares in fear* writing isn't? How come my stories magically appear on my computer screen?

As for Goose girl...tis yummy. Like a nice chocolatey doughnut...(I just had a doughnut and stuck in the microwave for ten sec. and got a delightfully gooey melted tasty mess...which is a little off topic)....

Now you need to read Enna Burning and River Secrets.

Debbie Barr said...

May I just repeat:

I LOVE THE GOOSE GIRL!!!!!!!