Friday, August 24, 2007

Money suckers

So, I'm back here in good ol' SUU and Mandi and I went to the bookstore to take a look at the books we need to get.
So, I look at my biology book and the used copies are $84, which is normal for those books. I look at my book for criminal justice 1010 and it's also $84, which surprises me a little but, hey, I'll still buy it. I then look at english, and one of my books is just $15 and the other is brand new and $32. I look at the second one and say to myself, "Self, I can get that cheaper off amazon" (which it is. $26 and I can get it on the free shipping special).

Then I decide to go over to where the chemistry books are located and see the damage that those would cost. I was expecting a lot to go towards those, but not as much as the price was. One of my books is brand new and so the used copies are around $150. And instead of having a lab booklet that I fill out, I have to buy a whopping book for lab! Not to mention a study guide for the lecture book, and another booklet. Later, I calculated it all out and if I were to buy them all (including the cheaper one off amazon) it would be almost $600. I definitly need a job, but I was planning on applying for a bunch here in Cedar anyways. Mandi, Chris, and I are going to go off and get a bunch of job applications as we roam around cedar and then have a job application filling party. If worse comes to worse, I can always go back to Hollywood Video, but request no closing shifts. :P I don't know if I want to take the other Organic chemistry class next semester, even though it'd be better for me. I could get it all over and done, but I don't want to go through it. I'm nervous enough about it this semester. *sigh*

It really sucks that college textbooks have to be so expensive, but that's what happens and it's most unfortunate. Not to mention, that when you sell them back to the school, they buy it from you at half the price. I've thought about selling it online, but at the end of the semester it's just so much easier standing in the buyback line and getting rid of them. At least I'll get a bunch of money back . . . . hopefully.

Well, I guess I'll order the thesaurus online, take a deep breath, close my eyes, and then buy the other books. And then hope that I'll get a job other than Hollywood. Until then, I'll just go and write.

Signing off sadly, Jessika

2 comments:

Your Name said...

ewww....textbooks should be cheap--no one likes to read them anyway, so they might as well make them less painful in the pocket.

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

agreed!