Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Amazing Brothers

Well, about the housing thing, I am going to move in with Kayleigh. Believe it or not, there is no one waiting to get into Manzanita, and it'll just be easier to move in with Kayleigh than try to hassle and pine to stupid housing. I just need to track down my R.A. and maybe the hall director so that I can do the move in/out. It shouldn't take long. I don't have that much stuff, and my roomies will most likely help me, but I would like to just get it done and over with that way I can really focus on my homework.

Second day of classes and already I'm stressed! And it's the "here's all you're expected to do in this class for the semester" kind of stress. I always do this to myself every semester, but for some reason it feels more weighty this semester. I think it's because of my missionary prep class. I mean, it's supposed to get you ready for a mission, but I think I'd have an easier time talking to people about the church and offering the book of mormon (I have to hand out at least one sometime during the semester) on my mission. Mainly because I won't have O-chem to worry about or looking at fishies. So, I've just told myself that I will do my best with the reading, with the memorizing scripture, and doing the actual missionary stuff. It's not so much the grade, which I was rather amazed that I'm even graded for Institute, but just that I want to do it. It will really help me get ready. . .get ready to step out of my comfort zone.

Well, the real purpose of this post was not to go off on my current stresses that will disappear once Friday rolls around, but my amazing brother, Chris. Man, I would really be lost and even more stressed without him. The second couselor and his wife in my ward own a hunting magazine business, and every year they stuff envelopes with, well, stuff and send them to their members. Last year, I went and did this with my roommates, which was really nice becuase I got paid $8 an hour for just sitting around and putting letters and tickets in envelopes.

So, yesterday, Sis. Carter called and told me all the times when they were going to do it, and when I was listening to her I thought "Oh yeah, I can find some time to go and do that." And then, after I hung up, I realized that was the last thing I needed. I already had a job, and any spare time I had needed to go to studying for that Chem final I have next week (:P), but--me being me--I felt obligated to at least go and help for a couple of hours. Well, I was outside, unburying my car and trying to decide if I really wanted to go when Chris saw me and so we started talking. I thought about maybe giving him the extra money I earned because he didn't have a job, but he said he really didn't want me to do that. And then, in his simple yet very observational way, he told me not to worry about it becuase I had to first worry about school.

Man, was that a relief! If anything, he told me that it was okay if I never even show up to help and not call about it. It's not like I'm an actual employee, it's just paid volunteer work.

So, I love my brother. He helps me feel better about the desicions I make, and he's a good friend. I'm glad he's here, and I'm glad he's close by so we can easily hang out.

That's about all, now off to do some homework. You all have a good day!

No comments: