Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A pleasant discovery

So, with my dime and pennies money I went to the bookstore. I didn't go to Braun's Books, but instead found myself at Mountain West, and there I bought Stardust. They had two copies of it, one with the movie poster plastered on the front, and the second with a better, more authentic cover. So, I bought the latter, and as I was leafing through it, I found this poem in the front:

Go, and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the Devil's foot,
Teach me to hear the mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
what wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.

If thou be'est born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me
All strange and wonders that befell thee,
And swear
Nowhere
Lives a woman true, and fair.

If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet,
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at the next door we might meet,
Though she were true when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three
--John Donne, 1572-1631

Sound familiar? It's the same song from Howl's Moving castle! The first stanza in chapter "In which Michael has trouble with a spell" and the second stanza is in chapter "In which Howl goes to a strange country in search of a spell." I have never heard this song/poem before, but it cropped up in two books, both of which the authors are from the British Isles. Interesting, ne? Still, a pleasant discovery! It made me lots happy.

Done sharing random tidbit and on to read some more, J. G. Senoj

1 comment:

Debbie Barr said...

Ah! That makes me really, really happy! And I just barely saw Stardust-- AMAZING! Thanks for the info, Minion.