Saturday, April 19, 2008

First Anime Convention

So, after being roped unwillingly (or was it willingly?) into watching Anime, I went to my first Anime Convention today. Boy, was it fun. I didn't stay the entire time, for about three hours actually, but it was really fun. I would love to go to another one, especially a bigger one. This one in St. George was really small, small enough for them to hold it in the lobby of Holiday Inn. Yeah, it was small, but. . . .

I didn't really meet and talk to the voice actor who was the guest of honor just because Anime is still new to me, along with all the voice actors. But, his name was Jerry Jewell and he did the voices of Kyo Sohma in Fruit's Basket (very cute show, I highly recommend it) and Barry the Chopper in Full Metal Alchemist. He also did several other ones that I didn't know just because I haven't watched them yet (or don't really feel like watching: Yu Yu Hakushou for example). I did get his autograph on my program just because I could and I figured "Why not? I'm here aren't I?"

He was a cool guy too. There was a panel that the Anime Con hosts put on where all us fans got to ask him all sorts of questions and he answered them with a laugh and a smile. It was lots of fun. That was the highlight of the whole experience, especially when he started getting requests to do the voices of all the characters he did. Kyo's was especially funny. When a girl asked him to do that, rather shyly, he said (and pardon the language but it's so the character): "Dammit! People always ask me to do that!!" It was so funny! I laughed so hard! It's so Kyo!

For those of you who haven't seen Fruit's Basket, I'll have to show it to you. It's those kind of shows where no matter what episode you watch, or how much of one, you walk away feeling absolutely happy. It's such a cute Anime.

Anywho, so, I did get something from the Con. Unfortunately, they didn't have a good selection of merchandise. In fact, compared to what I was expecting, they really had nothing. Just a bunch of Americanized mainstream Anime action figures and trading cards (like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Gundam Wing) and a lot of Miyazaki merchandise. I was really surprised that they didn't have any Fruit's Basket merchandise or other Anime that Jerry was in. I did get a stuffed Totoro carrying a leaf. It cost a pretty penny, mainly because (according to the saleslady) they have been discontinued in America as well as Japan. Yeah, it was expensive, but I'm glad I got it all the same.

There were a lot of people who were dressed up (the infamous cosplaying that is almost a must at Anime Cons) and once I get the pictures from Kayleigh, I'll post them. There was one girl dressed up as Link. That was cool to see.

Well, I'm done typing now, but before I go and take a short nap: Yup! That quote from my last post is from Hook. Kudos to Lizardbreath and Alex! Er. . .yeah. *leaves*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anime Conventions are usually held in hotels or if avaliable an actual convention hall. The one in Atlanta and Nashville are actually hotels. Along with Dragoncon in Atlanta during Labor Day Weekend. Glad you had fun. You'll have to come out to the one in Baltamore one time.

NinjaPirate Kayleigh said...

You should have talked to Jerry more (even if you don't know much about voice actors--actually, neither do I); he was so nice!
The dealer's room was really disappointing, but I guess we should keep in mind that it's a small con and this was only its second year. Hopefully it will get better in the years to come.
I'm glad you had fun anyway, though. If you weren't leaving *growls* you could come to the one in Vegas with us in August.